About Me

There used to be a world map hanging in my parents’ living room. From time to time, I would image what life is like in all these foreign places marked out by different colors on the map. At that time, I did not expect myself to go abroad, not to mention living a life in multiple places across the globe. Looking back from today, I feel lucky and grateful.

Some people say labeling is bad because it cannot 100% accurately describe a person. But I am OK with it and I think 75% (more or less) of me as a person can be covered by the labels of “Chinese”, “Traveller”, “Post-90”, and “Student”. The rest 25%? You will have to know me in the real world to find out by yourself.

I grew up with the emergence of Internet and it has helped me tremendously in terms of acquiring knowledge, widening horizon, sharpening mind, and making friends. It has been a long-time tiny dream for me to have a personal website as my online presence. So here it is. And I hope you will find something interesting here.

Countries I have visited around the world.

Current Position

Post-Doctoral Researcher in Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems

Humboldt Research Fellow

Education

I did my undergraduate study in Harbin Engineering University, Harbin, China. I was lucky enough to be selected as one of the first group of students for “Chen Geng ban” (陈赓班), an elite title accompanied by hell-level training in mathematics and physics. I finished the 1.5 year of intensified basic science training with a top-5 ranking and chose to major in Automation Engineering in the rest of my program.

I continued my study in Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA, USA as a Master of Science student. My thesis project was about the application of artificial immune system in structural health monitoring.

In 2014, I started my Ph.D. program in University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, doing research in microrobotics. It was a great honor for me to be the first Ph.D. student of my advisor, Prof. Eric Diller. I had lots of fun and learned a lot. As for now, I am working as a post-doctoral researcher in Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Germany. It is intensive, even exhausting sometimes. I work with the best minds in this field and have access to the best instruments I can imagine. So, nothing to complain. 🙂